Senior Research Lecturer
|Location:||Cape Town, Observatory|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
Job descriptionAFDA is inviting applications for the position of a research lecturer
AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated lecturer with the required academic experience to conceptualize, develop and deliver lectures that draw from a broad spectrum of the humanities, which is offered in the categories of narrative, performance, medium, aesthetics and business. These theoretical inputs take the form of text analyses of a broad variety of entertainment products and the associated knowledge domains which inform them. The aim of the research studies/production course is to provide students with the critical insights to conceptualize entertainment products that are relevant to a broad spectrum of audiences. The Senior Research lecturer will also oversee pre-production presentations of student work as well as the assessment of the final product.
The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate and guide students to conceptualize engaging, entertaining, and insightful works for a wide variety of exhibition platforms within the creative economies. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way, we hope to be able to contribute to nation-building and build the foundations for a sustainable local creative industry.Roles and responsibilities Term curriculum and appropriate teaching strategies delivered
- Term curriculum delivered to appropriate NQF Level Descriptors
- Term teaching strategies developed and implemented
Term classes, resources and student participation ensured
- Term lesson plans researched, prepared and delivered
- Term learning requirements planned, staffed, delivered
- Term facilities and equipment requirements planned and delivered
Valid term assignments, assessments and marks delivered
- Term class learning participation ensured
- Term learning narratives explained and assigned
- Valid Term Assignments and Assessments disseminated and delivered
Term projects and resources planned and delivered
- Term marks and moderation reports collected and delivered
- Term Projects planned and scheduled according to resources
- Term project facilities and equipment available, functional and maintained
Term learning reviews completed and implemented
- Term resources/tutors, budgets planned, allocated and maintained
- Required term learning reports compiled and delivered
- Term learning statutory requirements adhered to and documented
- Term learning/tutorial reviews submitted and amendments implemented
- Willingness to adapt to AFDA's curriculum, syllabus, schematics and methodologies and pedagogy.
- Willingness to adhere and embody AFDA values.
- Ability to work co-operatively with other teaching staff.
- Excellent time and deadline management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Physically and emotionally well adaptable to change.
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Inter-personal skills.
- Ability to research independently.
- Ability to manage a budget.
- Ability to manage inventory of facilities and equipment.
- The capacity to research and adapt to new developments in technology.
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality.
- Maturity to handle a range of situations.
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
- A meticulous and thorough nature.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines.
- To show initiative.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
- Willingness to support student development.
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering higher certificates, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world's major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
Posted on 29 Apr 15:53, Closing date 28 Jun